We typically recommend purchasing a wig from a shop that specializes in medical hair loss. However, at this time, we know this may be challenging due to physical distancing protocols. We recommend you first call boutiques in your local area to see what services may still be available virtually.
If you are considering purchasing a wig online, a few things to think about!
- Familiarize yourself with the different wig fibers and cap types – click here or sign up for an online workshop to learn more (https://lgfb.ca/en/workshop/). This will help narrow down your search.
- Find your head size - there are many resources online to help you - all you need is a soft measuring tape.
- Think about style – do you want to replicate the style you are used to? Remember that unlike a regular haircut, this one won’t grow back.
- If you are going to try something new, consider your face shape – heart, oval, square etc. Search “find my face shape” for more information and styles that best match your shape. There are also apps which allow you to try different hair styles using a photo of yourself.
- Wigs come in a variety of colours so you can match your current tone or try something new. If you can’t decide, a general rule of thumb is to lean toward a slightly lighter hair colour.
- Only purchase from authorized resellers that are listed on the wig manufacturer's website
- Where possible, purchase from a site that also has a retail location. Call them to ask more including which services will be available once their store has re-opened such as fitting and styling
- Be sure to read the return policy thoroughly and when purchasing online. It is a good idea to choose a store that will provide full refunds or exchanges.
- Use filters when searching. Some online stores will have thousands of options to choose from, which can easily become overwhelming. Knowing the wig type, cap type, and style you want before you start your search will allow you to find what you’re actually looking for more easily.